Security Operatives Arrested After Shocking Corps Member Assault in Anambra

The Anambra State Government has condemned the assault of a female National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, Jennifer Elobor, by operatives of its security outfit, Agbunechemba, during a recent raid in Anambra State. The government stated the attack was unprovoked and has launched an investigation to determine how and why the incident occurred.

A disturbing video that went viral on Tuesday shows operatives of the Agbunechemba security outfit forcibly entering a lodge housing National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members in Anambra State. Despite the corps members presenting their NYSC uniforms and identification cards, the security personnel accused them of engaging in internet fraud. The footage captures one of the corps members, Jennifer Elobor, being repeatedly assaulted and having her clothes torn as she pleaded for help.

The video prompted nationwide outrage, with many Nigerians demanding justice and swift government intervention.

Speaking on Tuesday, Ken Emeakayi, Special Adviser to Governor Chukwuma Soludo on Community Security, described the incident as “unfortunate and unacceptable.” He confirmed that the operatives involved in the assault had been arrested and are currently in detention.

“Immediately the incident happened, we arrested the operatives involved and placed them in detention,” Emeakayi said. “Our practice is to first carry out preliminary investigations, bring in the victims and complainants, and then determine whether the matter warrants internal disciplinary action or prosecution.”

Emeakayi disclosed that the assaulted corps member, along with NYSC officials, was invited to his office, where he personally heard their account of the incident. He added that disciplinary measures against the operatives involved are already in progress.

“Our conclusion is that while the operatives were on a lawful assignment, their handling of the situation was completely out of line,” he said.

Emeakayi reaffirmed the Soludo administration’s commitment to upholding human rights, emphasizing its zero-tolerance stance on abuses by security personnel in the state.

“Governor Soludo’s government will not condone any abuse of power, especially against innocent citizens,” he stated.

Share post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *