Liverpool boss Arne Slot has hinted at a possible fresh move for Alexander Isak as the Premier League champions continue to reshape their squad ahead of the new season.
Speaking ahead of Sunday’s Community Shield clash with Crystal Palace, Liverpool manager Arne Slot sidestepped questions about a reported £110 million bid for Newcastle’s Alexander Isak, refusing to confirm or deny the club’s interest in the striker.
“You never talk about players that are not yours,” Slot told reporters. “But as a club, we’re always looking at chances in the market.
Liverpool have already spent close to £300 million this summer under Slot’s leadership, bringing in attacking talents Florian Wirtz and Hugo Ekitike, as well as full-backs Milos Kerkez and Jeremie Frimpong.
Despite the spending spree, the club could still add another forward, with Darwin Nunez close to sealing a £46 million move to Al Hilal in Saudi Arabia. Nunez is among several senior players expected to depart in what has become a significant squad overhaul.
Slot, however, expressed confidence in his current attacking lineup, listing Mo Salah, Cody Gakpo, Federico Chiesa, Frimpong, Ekitike, and Wirtz as key offensive options.
Club Continues to Honour Diogo Jota
Slot also spoke emotionally about the continuing impact of Diogo Jota’s death, following the Portuguese forward’s fatal car accident last month in northern Spain.
“First of all, the tragedy impacted his wife, children, and parents most,” he said. “But it also deeply affected all of us at the club.”
Since the incident, tributes have been paid at every Liverpool match, both at home and abroad. A special “Forever 20” emblem referencing Jota’s shirt number will be printed on the club’s kits throughout the season. A permanent memorial is also being planned at Anfield in his honour.
Liverpool begin their new campaign under Slot with high hopes but are also carrying the emotional weight of Jota’s loss balancing a summer of big changes with the memory of a beloved teammate.
Leave a Reply